The African National Congress welcomes the outcome of the municipal by-elections held on 19 May 2021, with the ANC securing an overwhelming win of 29 of the 40 wards contested.
These by-elections took place in the run-up to the local government elections to be held on the 27 October 2021. The outcomes of recently-held by-elections clearly demonstrate that the ANC continues to grown its support across the country. Voters have demonstrated their confidence in the leadership of the ANC by returning it to power in wards it has previously won and voting out other parties in many wards.
We are humbled by the confidence the electorate continues to demonstrate in the leadership of the ANC. We will continue to advance efforts to improve the conditions of our people on the ground.
The ANC retained 26 wards nationally, won 2 wards from the DA in Johannesburg and eThekwini and 1 from the Better Residents Association in Bushbuckridge in Mpumalanga. The ANC lost 1 ward to the IFP in Uphongolo in KwaZulu-Natal.
The ANC’s performance broken down per Province is as follows:
• In the Eastern Cape, the ANC garnered 83.59% support, retaining its 8 seats
• In Gauteng, the ANC garnered 71% support, retaining its seven wards and winning one ward from the DA
• In KwaZulu-Natal, the ANC garnered 47.25% support, retaining its 4 seats, winning 1 seat from the DA and losing 1 seat to the IFP.
• In Limpopo, the ANC garnered 73.96% support, retaining all its 4 seats.
• In Mpumalanga, the ANC garnered 61.43% support, retaining its 3 seats and winning 1 seat from the Better Residents Association.
• In the Free State, the ANC garnered 43.99% support, retaining all its 2 wards.
We thank all South Africans who came out to cast their votes and demonstrate the resilience of our democracy. We thank the hundreds of volunteers who reached out to the voters across the country and ensured that the ANC remains the people’s choice.
As we prepare for the local government elections later in the year, we will continue to ensure that our campaign is grounded on humility, commitment to making a better life for all a lived reality and selecting candidates that are rooted among their communities.
ISSUED BY THE AFRICAN NATIONAL CONGRESS
ANC Head of Elections
071 623 4975