The African National Congress (ANC) in the Eastern Cape today, Wednesday 20th October 2021 held a very frank, honest and a progressive meeting with the Congress of Traditional Leaders (CONTRALESA).
The meeting was underpinned by historic relationship that ties both the organizations in common commitment in pursuance of broad objectives of the National Democratic Revolution (NDR) which includes the ongoing transformation of the traditional institutions and affirmation of the role in the progressive governance of our communities.
Also both formations of the Congress Movement appreciated each other’s historical, present and future roles and significance in shaping and building a better South Africa.
- The meeting affirmed importance of keeping the status quo on the role played by traditional leaders to stabilize Municipal Councils and tempering with the current arrangements will impede the progress already made, further in appreciation of their roles in Councils – we agreed to further engage this matter in a progressive way.
- The meeting further appreciated the dynamic relations between Cooperative Governance & Traditional Affairs (COGTA) and traditional authorities in the recognition of and confirmation of traditional leaders and further appreciated that such processes must be handled with agility.
- The meeting appreciated the need for government to harmonize the remunerations package for all traditional leaders according to their levels of authority.
- That for the District Development Model(DDM) to function effectively and efficiently, the traditional leaders must play a pivotal role.
- That an inclusive committee of senior leaders chaired by the ANC Provincial Secretary and the Contralesa Provincial Secretary be established and must work towards preparing for a Joint Summit to address both the Legislative issues and Administrative issues, including the matter of institutionalization of the transformation of traditional leadership in the Eastern Cape before the end of November 2021.
-We further agreed that it will be in the best interest of our communities that both Organizations recommit to work for progressive change in affirmation of rural development in our communities.
-That the government must strive for responsiveness and work closer with traditional authorities at all spheres of our government.
Our movement appreciates the guidance and counsel of Traditional leaders and will at all times seek the necessary nurturing from the elders.
ISSUED BY THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY OF THE AFRICAN NATIONAL CONGRESS, CDE LULAMA NGCUKAYITOBI
Cde Loyiso Magqashela
ANC PEC Provincial Spokesperson
Mobile No :0823059611
Cde Gift Ngqondi
Provincial Head of Communications
Mobile No : 0849519924/0848439706